For many lawyers, joining a bar association might seem like an unnecessary and meaningless exercise. What does a bar association have to do with my practice? Who needs more meetings to attend? Why bother? It may come as a surprise that large numbers of lawyers at the local, state and national levels find bar association affiliation a true enhancement to their practice, their profession, and even their personal lives.
To find out why, read the Top Ten Reasons to Join KCBA.
Benefits of KCBA Membership When you become a member of the KCBA, you gain access to a variety of resources, programs and other assets that can enhance your career.
• Helpful MCLE Classes: KCBA through our office and our Sections offers more than 30 units of MCLE annually. Why travel to far flung places, stay in motels and pay outrageous fees for your required MCLE when you can get everything the State Bar requires right here in Bakersfield?
• Fee Arbitration Program: State Bar rules require that you offer your clients a low cost fee arbitration system when you have a fee dispute. KCBA's arbitration program provides local attorneys to help you solve your fee disputes.
• Networking with other practitioners in their area of expertise: Join active sections in family law, probate and estate planning, the criminal defense section and the new young lawyers section.
• Social Activities: KCBA's programs facilitate your meeting and talking with fellow lawyers and the judicial officers. KCBA sponsors the Bench and Bar Award Dinner, Judicial Appreciation Night, and our annual Installation Dinner as well as daytime lunch meetings for both MCLE and membership. KCBA joins with the Kern County Paralegal Association to offer the Annual Holiday Luncheon.
• Timely Magazine: The KCBA's magazine, The Res Ipsa Loquitur, is published and distributed in hard copy monthly, September through July, to members. Learn about past and upcoming KCBA events, products and services available to you and more.
• Fastcase: Fastcase is a next-generation, Web-based legal research service, that puts the complete national law library on your desktop anywhere you have Internet access. Fastcase’s smarter searching, sorting, and visualization tools help you find the best answers fast – and help you find documents you might have otherwise missed. KCBA Members have free, unlimited access to Fastcase.
• Affinity Program: Our Affinity Program provides KCBA members with a range of discounts and services from local businesses, as well as special gifts.
The Bell Tower Club offers fine elegant dining in a comfortable setting that affords its members a professional yet intimate setting in which to enjoy lunch with friends and colleagues, and the opportunity to schedule private meeting and events at the beautiful Bell Tower Club. Simply complete the KCBA Members Only – Bell Tower Club Membership application. Please contact us at (661) 321-9597 with any questions you may have.
One time benefit: complimentary access to BTC for 2 months. Kcba members may join BTC and pay only what is consumed—without any membership access fee. Kcba members receive the first two months of membership for free.
Ongoing benefit: complimentary dessert to kcba members throughout 2014. Kcba members may receive a complimentary dessert with their paid meal by simply showing proof of current kcba membership. And if you look on that same page after affinity program please delete from local and put a period after services.